05-436 / 05-836 / 08-534 / 08-734 Usable Privacy and Security
Print your homework out and submit it in person at the start of class (3:00pm) on Thursday, March 19th. Homework will not be accepted after 3:00pm on that day.
- Part 1 (50 points): This week, you read about the design of usable privacy notices. Now, we want you to design a privacy notice for smartphone apps. You should turn in:
Note that as part of a future homework assignment, you will be running a usability test of your design.
- One paragraph describing what details you believe to be most important for a smartphone app privacy notice to communicate, and why.
- One paragraph describing the decisions you made in designing your privacy notice.
- Sketches of your notice that you will use for a paper prototype. For more information on creating a paper prototype, please read this article. Note that you should have examples of all major screens or displays that a user would see. You can create sketches on paper (give us photocopies!), in Powerpoint, in rapid-prototyping software, etc.
- Part 2 (50 points): Write a first draft of the methodology section for your group's research project. For the purpose of the homework assignmet, each team member should do this individually. Afterwards, your team will have a whole set of methodology drafts, which will allow you to combine the strongest aspects of each.
- Part 3 (9-unit students should not do this part. 12-unit students will receive between 0 and 45 points for this part): Write a 3--7 sentence summary and short "highlight" for the Cranor et al. financial notices paper assigned for March 19th, as well as one optional reading assigned for each of the following classes: March 3rd and March 17th. In other words, you will be summarizing and highlighting 3 readings total.