Homework 4 - due October 14, 2010
Don't forget to properly cite all sources (including assigned
readings) and include a bibliography with all homework
Reading assignment: October 5-14 readings
1. Write a short summary of each chapter in the reading
assignment (3-7 sentences each). Graduate students should also read and
write a summary of one optional reading paper. After each summary (in a separate
paragraph) provide a "highlight" for that chapter. This can be
something new you learned that you found particularly interesting, a
point you would like to discuss further in class, a question the
chapter did not fully answer, something you found confusing, a point
you disagree with, or anything else you found noteworthy. [25 points]
2. [25 points] Pick a particular industry or type of web site and
find two P3P-enabled sites of that type.
- a) For EACH of the two sites, use the W3C P3P validator (also
available here) to answer these questions:
- (i) Is the site fully P3P-enabled, partially P3P-enabled (has some but not all
required P3P files, has errors in P3P files, has compact policy but
not a full policy, etc. - if the site is partially P3P-enabled, explain), or not P3P-enabled at all?
- (ii) Does the site have a compact P3P policy?
- (iii) If the site is P3P-enabled, how many P3P policies does it have?
- b) Pick one of the P3P-enabled sites and compare the P3P policy
with the site's human-readable policy. Then answer these questions:
not captured at all by the P3P policy?
- (iii) Are any of these elements you identified in part ii items that are supposed to
be encoded in a P3P policy (that is, did the site make an error, or
are they limited by the P3P syntax)?
3. [25 point] Try out an anonymity tool and read technical papers or other documentation that describes how it works.
- a) Describe the tool you used, its intended use, and how the technology works.
- b) Describe the level of anonymity the tool provides and the conditions under which anonymity might be broken.
- c) Discuss the usability and convenience of the tool and suggest ways it might be improved.
4. Do part 2 of the group privacy
policy assignment. [25 points]